Railscamp is retreat for the software and design community to meet and learn from each other while getting out of the city to unplug around the campfire.
Getting to Rails Camp
Our venue this year is the Washega 4-H center in Dahlonega, GA. We will be scheduling a bus to leave from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport at 4:30pm local time to go up to camp. You can find flights for our dates here, be mindful to pick a flight to arrive before the bus leaves if you plan on taking the bus. The bus will arrive back at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport at 12:00pm local time. Be mindful to pick a flight that departs at least 90 minutes after that time.
If you decide to drive yourself please let the organizers know and we will send you a map and some instructions so you don't get stuck on some not very real roads. We've been there and they mean it when they say use their map.
Bus leaves airport at 4:30pm local time on Friday, 5/4
Bus arrives at airport 12:00pm local time on Monday, 5/7
- There are 16 cabins we will have coed, male-only, and female-only cabins.
- Eight cabins with bunks beds are around the boys bathhouse
- Six cabins with bunk beds are around the girls bathhouse
- Two cabins are handicap accessible with attached accessible bathrooms
- Linens are *not* provided. You need to bring a sleeping bag and pillow.
- Each cabin only has four outlets you may want power strips.
- Indoor common areas:
- Dining Hall -- fits everyone, but will be closed between meals
- Recreation Hall -- fits everyone has a stereo and projector for karaoke
- 2x Classrooms - Large enough for 12-20 people breakouts
- Lounge - Common area for snacks and drinks between meals
- First aid room - well stocked for when Patrick inevitably injures himself.
- Outdoor common areas are:
- 3x smaller pavilions (12-20 people)
- 1x big pavilions (fits everyone)
- Space by the waterfall (12-20 people)
- Amphitheater with two fire rings (fits everyone)
- 4x smaller fire rings (12-20 people)
- There are no quiet hours, but the staff residence is closest to the recreation hall so we expect everyone to be courteous.
What to Do
Washega has a lot of activities on the camp itself. We are also working on some optional outings from the camp grounds. We will be planning and announcing talks and trying some projects unconference-style at the camp.
- Evening Karaoke
- Basketball courts
- Onsite pond is available for swimming
- 4.1 miles of hiking trails
- Large field for any field related activities
- Archery 🏹
- Baseball Supplies ⚾️
- Zipline & Flying Squirrel (one day)
- Ropes Course (one day)
- Climbing Wall (one day)